Sunday, January 4, 2009

Catching up part 1

It has been quite a while since I have posted, and the month of December was a blur! I will dedicate the next few posts to our holiday activities and goals for the new year.

The first few weeks of December were spent madly finishing school, decorating for Christmas, sewing and knitting gifts, and trying to maintain somewhat of an orderly home. Three of the four were accomplished... it wasn't number four!

If you have basic sewing skills and would like a practical, decorative idea, I think that these dish towels I made for several people turned out really cute.



I cut strips of 5 different fabrics 2" wide and sewed them together. Then, using my rotary cutter and mat, I cut a 3" strip going across all of the different fabrics. I sewed the strip of pieced fabrics to a flour sack dish towel and then finished off the top of the strip with a piece of bias tape or rick rack. I did some with a Christmas theme, some with a harvest theme, and some with a summer theme; however, you could pick fabrics to match a particular kitchen, holiday, etc. I would like to make a set for myself next!

I also made several bathrobes for niece and nephews, knitted a scarf, and knitted two pairs of slippers.

OK, for real... you can imagine what my house looked like!

On December 20th, we celebrated Will's 7th birthday. He was particularly excited because we actually celebrated ON his birthday! Scott's mom, Kay... AKA Nana... came up for the weekend. The kids always look forward to her visits, and this was no exception!
For his birthday, Will wanted to have a few friends over to play Uno and board games. Nana brought the treat of the day, "No Stress Chess." Will had enjoyed learning about chess at our medieval feast, and now he has his very own set. I, too appreciate the little cards explaining which piece moves where!

Will and his friends at the "Uno Party!" So, I can sew, but cake decorating is NOT a strength of mine... the giant cookie was supposed to be decorated to look like an Uno card!

No comments: