Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Random thoughts on a cold afternoon

It is very gray and cloudy here today, and Scott actually got to stay home because it was sleeting a little this morning. (Here in Mississippi school gets canceled if there is a threat of snow!) We are finished with school (GASP!) for the day, and the house is orderly (enough), so I thought I would sit down with a cup of coffee and just post about a few random things.

First of all, I have realized since Christmas how enjoyable home schooling can be... when you actually stay at home! It is amazing how much more peaceful our home stays, and how much more rested I feel, and how much school gets done! I know that sounds like a "well, duh!" kind of statement, but it is true! Since I have stopped cleaning and sewing for others, we actually have time to finish all of our school work... AND read library books together! Of course things come up, and we have already had one week without much school getting done b/c of some things; BUT... it is nice to be able to say, "yes, Josh, it is a stay at home day... I don't care what you wear!"

I mentioned the Bible reading plan that I am following several posts ago. The Old Testament reading has just finished up in Genesis, and I have been thinking about the different individuals in the line of Abraham. It seems as if each time I read through, God shows me just a little bit more of Himself.

This time it has been in the area of His righteousness. I have always been able to agree that God can do whatever He chooses; however, there has always been some small place of questioning in my heart on the matters of Cain, Ishmael, Esau, and some others. I can't really go into a deep explanation of how God has reconciled this matter within me, but somehow, He has. I suppose through reading and John's sermons of late, God has shown me more of Himself, given me a little more insight into the characters of Abel, Isaac and Jacob, and also shown me a little more of Cain, Ishmael, and Esau.

A friend of ours, Kurt Strassner, has a BLOG that is definitely worth keeping up with. His post today gave me an increased bit of clarity in this matter. In fact, it was one of those... "yeah, that's what I have been thinking... I just didn't know how to put it into words" moments. He was writing about the disciples, but I think the same thing can be said for what I have been learning also. The following statement comes from his blog:

That is, He chose them, not because of any innate potential in themselves … but to demonstrate His power to change and use any life – no matter how normal or sinful.

Clear, concise... so true, and so applicable to us as well.

Finally.... Remember, I titled this "Random Thoughts..." This is my solution to the need for budget cuts in the Mississippi school system. (Gov. Haley Barbour has done what seems to be a good job of making sure our state does not spend what it does not have. As a result, education is getting a budget cut for the coming year.) Instead of people losing jobs, why don't all of the schools and government buildings just turn the thermostat down to 60 degrees in the winter, and 75 degrees in the summer? Every time we go see Scott at school, go to the library, or worst of all, the drafty courthouse, we are greeted by a blast of warm air upon entering. Almost immediately, our children start peeling layers and getting red-cheeked because it is so warm inside! I wonder how much money our government spends each month just in electricity bills... I bet some SERIOUS cash could be saved in that area....

OK, time to fix dinner now... enough babbling! Have a nice day!






1 comment:

Em said...

Heather,
I LOVED this post!

You could have stopped with "staying at home" and it would've been excellent! I have a "go and do" personality, and yet I find my peace is always increased when I have more days in a row of just being home.

The rest of your post was great, too, and I love the thought about the thermostat. Too funny!

Have a wonderful day!
Em