Thursday, January 20, 2011

Thanksgiving

I made it home from nationals about 6:00 Sunday night. Whew. The season was over, and Thanksgiving break was here. I felt a bit overwhelmed... drained from an emotionally exhausting season, worried about my grandmother who had just been diagnosed with cancer, and faced with the task of cleaning up my house before company arrived on Wednesday. You see, housework had kind of fallen by the wayside during the month of November... especially in the area of closets and cabinets!

On Monday, the girls and I went to Memphis to see my grandmother in the hospital. She was doing better and would be moving in with my mother in the next few days. While we were there, we did our grocery shopping and then headed home to clean and start cooking!

I am so thankful for my children... they have become SO helpful... I could NEVER have gotten as much done in those two days without their help!

On Wednesday, Scott's sister Stefanie and her family came to visit for a few days. We rarely see them, and always look forward to their visits. The kids enjoy playing with cousins... and they also enjoy playing with Uncle Craig!

Thursday was Thanksgiving! The Memphis Duleys came to join us, as well as Savannah and Christine... our Texas friends! We cooked all morning and prepared a feast!

That afternoon we lolled around and then watched football and played Bananagrams that evening. On Friday, the Millers headed back to Atlanta, and the Duleys headed back to Memphis.

In the meantime, Tootie had moved in with mom and dad. Our family went to Memphis on Friday or Saturday to help clean out her apartment and get her room set up at mom's house. Tootie was in good spirits and was very happy to be with mom and dad now. She decided to bless us with her living room furniture, so Scott and I made a trip back and forth in dad's truck... it looks perfect in my house! (I was fortunate to have a grandmother with good taste! Not many people would be so thankful to get their grandmother's living room furniture!)

We stayed for the remainder of the weekend and spent time with Tootie and my family, and then it was back home to get started on school!

Our school year is not like most peoples'. One of the great things about homeschooling is the ability to be flexible. During cross country and football, we keep up with the basics. During the spring semester, we do all subjects like crazy. During the summer, we catch up on history and the other extras that slipped during the fall semester. It all works out in the end.

Thanksgiving break was busy, and many would say that it wasn't really a break. It was a nice break from work, though, and it was great to have so much time with family... even if it was busy!

And I can't believe I didn't take any pictures. Rats.

No comments: