Sunday, January 30, 2011

Sarah's 11!

Sarah's birthday is January 3rd. This year, on January 3rd, the flu was still running rampant through our home, so we postponed the party until the following weekend.

By the next weekend, everyone was healthy and ready for a "Sock Hop!" We had plans for a '50's party with milkshakes and poodle skirts. Of course, being the procrastinator that I am, I had not yet started the poodle skirts... as of a few days before!

The day before the party, my mom called to tell me that Tootie was not doing well. Although we had plans to go to Memphis on Sunday, she encouraged me to go ahead and come see her. From Christmas to now, her health had begun to decline more and more rapidly. I grabbed a change of clothes, my sewing machine, and 5 unfinished poodle skirts, and hit the road for Memphis.

I am so thankful that I went. It was evening before I arrived, and I was able to spend some time with her before she went to bed. That night I enjoyed time with my mom while we finished the skirts together. In the morning, I got to visit a little with Tootie, and then I ran back home to shop and decorate for the party.

The girls looked so cute in their skirts, and I really think I missed my decade... I totally could have enjoyed skirts with petticoats, heels, and pearls... and aprons! :)

We started off the afternoon with some hula-hooping!

Marta (above) and Sarah (below) were hula experts!
Next, the girls divided into two groups and came up with a lip-sync to an oldie... One group performed "Ain't Nothin' but a Hound Dog," and the other performed "Lollipop!"Above: AnnaBeth leading the way with the Hound Dog group! Below: Hannah during the "Lollipop" presentation!

Ready for some refreshment, we took a break and had milkshakes... complete with whipped cream and cherries!

As if that was not enough sugar, we indulged in a cake that Sarah had made earlier in the week! My friend Sandy invited her over to make a birthday cake. They kept the '50's theme and made the Barbie mold with a poodle skirt! It was SO amazing!

After cake, Sarah opened presents with her friends. Then we spent the rest of the afternoon visiting, doing the twist, and playing some board games.

Happy Birthday, Sarah!

No comments: