Monday, December 1, 2008

sin and grace

Lately I have been so regrettably cool toward the Lord and engaged in a losing battle with sin. I feel like I have gone backwards in the Christian walk. Now, unfortunately, I don't say this as many of the puritans did... Many times they were really growing in godliness but just becoming more introspective and seeing the potential for sin in their hearts. Not me... this has been very tangible, real, and awful. However, I suppose that the worst part is, I have seen it culminating for a while and have not repented and turned toward Christ.

Our Savior is so kind, though. I have become the woman who cast herself at the feet of Jesus and wiped his feet with her hair and tears, and he does not refuse me. His faithfulness is abounding, and when I think about it, my LACK of faithfulness, spiritual adultery, and straying from Him are so inexcusable and ridiculous. WHY? Why would we leave the side of our Savior and pursue happiness in other things?

John mentioned on Wednesday how sin is a mirage, and he is so right.... we think that certain ideas of things will make us happy, but they are only ideas... not reality. We chase after things that don't really exist, adn when we get them, we are left empty. The insane part is, I have been left empty and just chased harder rather than repent. How prideful is that?! In reality, Christ is the only One who satisfies, and no relationship, physical appearance, material possession, nothing can replace Him.

Christ is called the Prince of Peace, and it is true that He is the only one who can give us peace. I have been reading in Romans 5 and 6 for the past few days, and this morning I was given some clarity and the beautiful truth of the words was opened to me. So many phrases and verses all together around this theme... Christ died for us while we were in our sin! What an amazing truth! Now, just as amazing... we do not have to be slaves of sin any longer! If it were only as easy as typing in the letters, but Oh, how we must rely on the Holy Spirit!

We have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ....

For when we were still without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly.... but God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us

How shall we who died to sin live any longer in it?

just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life

Our old man was crucified with Him, that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves of sin. For he who has died has been freed from sin.

Reckon yourselves to be dead indeed to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jeus our Lord. Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body, that you should obey it in its lusts.

For sin shall not have dominion over you, for you are not under law but under grace.



Heavenly Father, help me to trust in you to fulfill me, and help me to seek you alone. Do not let sin continue to have dominion, but help me walk close to you and reckon myself dead to sin and alive to you. Help me to not walk any longer in sin but rather to walk in newness of life. Thank you for sending Your Son to die for us when there is nothing in us that merits saving, and thank you for your patience, kindness, faithfulness, and the peace you give your children.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Such helpful thoughts . . . it's such a comfort to remember that in Christ, we are no longer slaves of sin.
Sorry I wasn't able to 'hang out' with you yesterday! I'm so grateful for your friendship.

Anonymous said...

Heather, THANK you for rambling on my blog, as you put it. I came over here to read the redneck blog, and found this post. It really spoke to me, as I've been on that road the last week or so.

I agree...as I read your posts, I believe we do indeed have lots in common. We should have coffee sometime!

Have a great day!
Em (aka farmwife)