Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Recent Happenings

Over the last few days, it seems the Lord is helping me along with staying at home more... we have had a yucky sickness going through our home!  We have all had turns running fever, headache, sore throat... It isn't the flu, it isn't strep, and it isn't meningitis.  How do I know it's not meningitis?  Well, Josh was the first one to go down, and the fever settled in his neck.  (I write that as a statement, but it is more of a guess!?)  By the end of the first day, he was running fever and not able to move his neck at all.  Worried about meningitis, a friend urged me to take him to the ER... because of course it was 8:00pm by the time it got severe!

We went to Tupelo, and our ER doctor was very nice..................... when we finally got to see one!  He ran several tests, and he said Josh really needed a spinal tap to check for meningitis.

Josh is the toughest kid I have.  No doubt.  If you know Josh, you are probably smiling, because the boy could run through a brick building.  But he HATES shots.  They really scare him, especially when he isn't feeling well.

A spinal tap is not only a shot... it is a BIG shot, in the back, on the X-ray table, lasted about 45 minutes, AND he was feeling about as bad as he has ever felt.  Poor baby!!!!  He was so incredibly brave and still, and continued to answer the nurse's questions with, "Yes ma'am..." even during the spinal tap!

He actually did better than his mama.  I wasn't grossed out or anything; I don't really know what happened.  But all of a sudden, about halfway into the deal, the room was spinning, I thought I was going to get sick, and the nurse was sliding a chair up under me!  What a failure!

Josh forgave me... and he was somewhat comforted by the 6 hours of TV he got to watch while laying in the ER bed with me.

When it was all said and done, the doctor was baffled.  He just knew it was meningitis, but all tests for everything turned up negative.  We arrived home about 6:00am Friday, and one by one, different Duleys have started running fever.  Thankfully no more trips to the ER, though!


No comments: