Saturday, July 4, 2009

practical gifts

My husband is not romantic, and his gift giving reflects his personality.

Please understand, this is not a complaint. In fact, many years ago, I decided that a certain young man was not for me on account of his mushy-ness...

I can appreciate a good, practical gift. Our first Christmas together, Scott bought me a weight belt (for exercising) and a tackle box for all of my sewing supplies. Some of you might be groaning... I was thrilled!

Now, the shotgun I received for Christmas the next year might have been over-kill, but I know that his intentions were good.

Why in the world am I writing about what I got for Christmas eleven years ago?

Well, today I got to make bread again for the first time in MONTHS! I had been out of wheat for a long time, and I finally got 3 buckets of wheat berries! As I was turning on my wheat grinder, I was thanking the Lord for such a kind husband. Several years ago, Scott used our tax refund to get me a Nutrimill and a Bosch mixer so that I could start making homemade bread for our family.

As I made bread today, I reminisced about some of the gifts he has given me. The shotgun is probably the one we will laugh at for many more years to come.

My sewing machine was a Christmas present about eight years ago... Scott was working part time to save, but I was under the impression that he was just helping a friend. It was a very sweet and thoughtful gift. I love to sew, but my old machine was a hand-me-down with bobbin issues.

Last year for our birthdays and anniversary, Scott gave me the gift of a cross country trail around our property. We spent many hours hacking and bushwacking around the place to make a 3 mile course.

This year for my birthday, he is going to build me a sewing table! I have room upstairs where I can keep my machines out for access, but they have been on a card table for the last year. This is not ideal when sewing, because the whole table bounces up and down when you sew with any speed!

As I thought about my husband who gives such practical gifts, I couldn't help but think of Christ, the Bridegroom and the gifts he gives us, as His bride.

Christ is also a very practical gift giver. It is said that our basic needs are food, shelter, and clothing. Christ is kind to provide all of these... without cost!

Jesus said, "I am the bread of life. He who comes to me shall never hunger, and he who believes in me shall never thirst." (Jn 6:35)

The Psalms say, "For you have been a shelter for me, a strong tower from the enemy,"

"The name of the Lord is a strong tower. The righteous run into it, and they are safe,"

and "The rock of my strength, my refuge is in God. Trust in him at all times, you people; Pour out your hearts before him; God is a refuge for us."

Clothing... this is my favorite to think about... Our own garments are stained with sin, and nothing more than rags. God, through the work of Christ, does not leave us in these filthy things!

"I will greatly rejoice in the Lord, My soul shall be joyful in my God; For He has clothed me with the garments of salvation. He has covered me with the robe of righteousness..." (Is. 61:10)

No comments: