Monday, August 5, 2019

Surgery Day

About 16 years ago, we decided to name our soon-to-be Duley "Joshua," because in my estimation, Joshua was a biblical character who didn't screw up and bring shame to the name of the Lord during his lifetime.

During my pregnancy, God revealed to me that I had been putting my hopes in being "good" and pleasing others instead of looking to Christ for my salvation. I repented, placed my faith in Christ, and now HIS righteousness is my covering.  Around this SAME TIME, I was told that JOSHUA means "YAHWEH is salvation." What a difference in point of view!!  From that moment, Joshua no longer represented efforts to "be good;" instead, Joshua was a reminder that JESUS SAVES.

Here we are today, hopefully at the end of a summer-long toothpick saga, (I need a better name for this..) and Josh is about to go into a surgery that is dangerous and tricky.  "High-priced real estate" is the term being used for the location of the toothpick, and doctors keep saying that if this was a bullet they wold leave it alone.

YAHWEH is salvation.  JESUS SAVES.

There are so many people praying for Josh (physical/emotional/spiritual needs), for the surgeons, and for our family.  "Encouraged" and "comforted" do not even begin to describe how we feel regarding the outpouring of kindness and concern being expressed by our community- and even church families from far away!

Yesterday as I was taking a running break (Periodically I go outside and run laps around the hospital... I figure it's better than smoking...), I was praying for Josh, and all of these things were being woven together in my mind.

Our Heavenly Father, who is GOOD has chosen this for our family, and it will be used for good, because He loves us and has called us according to His purposes.

Abraham had to lay Issac on the altar before God provided a lamb, but God DID provide a lamb for Abraham, and Isaac's life was spared. God also has provided a lamb for us- the Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world.  We are praying that God will bring glory to Himself by sparing Josh's life today and also by giving Josh a real, living faith and hope in Christ.

Then in the book of Numbers, the Israelites were being plagued by deadly snakes. After the people saw their need to be healed, they cried out for mercy. God instructed Moses to make a brass serpent, raise it on a pole, and then those who looked at it were healed.  John 3:14-15 says, "And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of Man be lifted up; that whoever believes may in Him have eternal life."

Similar to the Israelites, Josh is very sick right now and needs to be healed. We pray that the Lord would guide the hands of the surgeons and give them dexterity and wisdom to resolve the issue. At the same time, I pray that Josh would feel his need for Christ and that he would look to Christ and be healed. Both physically and spiritually.

  2 Corinthians 6:2:" For he says, 'In a favorable time I listened to you, and in a day of salvation I have helped you.' Behold, now is the favorable time; behold, now is the day of salvation."

"But my prayer to You, O LORD, is for a time of favor. In Your abundant loving devotion, O God, answer me with Your sure salvation." Psalm 69:13.

Just as the lady reached out and touched the hem of Jesus' garment and was healed and forgiven, I am praying that Josh would figuratively reach out and do the same- That our God, who is our great and Glorious Physician, would preserve, protect, and heal our son Joshua.  JESUS SAVES, we pray that God would glorify Himself today.

It is going to be a good day. We love you Josh!

Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us, to Him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus to all generations, forever and ever. AMEN.



1 comment:

Beth said...

What a beautiful reminder of God’s faithfulness to us and a picture of your obedience by your placing your trust in HIM. Our family, Lisa’s mom & dad, continue to pray for Josh and all those in involved with his treatment and healing. I am also praying that Josh will be drawn even closer to the Only One Who is able to do all things.
Bill & Beth Gurner