Friday, December 15, 2017

December 14

December 14
Ornament with Shepherd’s Staff


Today’s ornament is the Shepherd’s staff.  Before he was king, David was a shepherd, and being a shepherd was not an easy job.  We know he spent much time outdoors in all sorts of weather.  Protecting sheep could be a lonely, dangerous job!


This shepherd David wrote a Psalm about the Lord based on his experience as a shepherd and his knowledge of sheep.
The Lord is my shepherd,
I shall not want.
2   He makes me lie down in green pastures;
He leads me beside quiet waters.
3   He restores my soul;
He guides me in the paths of righteousness
For His name’s sake.
4   Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I fear no evil, for You are with me;
Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.
5  You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies;
You have anointed my head with oil;
My cup overflows.
6   Surely goodness and lovingkindness will follow me all the days of my life,
And I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.


In the Old Testament, there are many references to the Messiah as being a type of shepherd and the Jews being like sheep.  In the New Testament, Jesus is compared to a shepherd many times.  John chapter 10 is a wonderful illustration of this.  


Jesus says,   11 “I am the good shepherd; the good shepherd lays down His life for the sheep. 12 He who is a hired hand, and not a shepherd, who is not the owner of the sheep, sees the wolf coming, and leaves the sheep and flees, and the wolf snatches them and scatters them. 13 He flees because he is a hired hand and is not concerned about the sheep. 14 I am the good shepherd, and I know My own and My own know Me, 15 even as the Father knows Me and I know the Father; and I lay down My life for the sheep. 16 I have other sheep, which are not of this fold; I must bring them also, and they will hear My voice; and they will become one flock with one shepherd. 17 For this reason the Father loves Me, because I lay down My life so that I may take it again. 18 No one has taken it away from Me, but I lay it down on My own initiative. I have authority to lay it down, and I have authority to take it up again. This commandment I received from My Father.”
27 My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me; 28 and I give eternal life to them, and they will never perish; and no one will snatch them out of My hand. (John 10:11-18, 27-28)
We are just like sheep needing the care of a Shepherd.  We must run to Him, and he will not turn us away, because he is the GOOD Shepherd.  
As we prepare to celebrate the coming of our good Shepherd, we can be thankful that we not only have the Old Testament words and pictures which point us to our coming Savior, but we also have the very words straight from our Savior Himself!  
Jesus tells us to come to Him, and he will not cast us out.  A sheep off on his own is vulnerable to all sorts of danger- Sheep need their shepherd for safety, care, and protection.  In the same way, we are vulnerable and exposed without the covering of our Good Shepherd.  As we hang the ornament with the shepherd’s crook, let’s remember that Jesus is our Good Shepherd.  
The words to the hymn “Savior, Like a Shepherd Lead Us” are a great closing:
Saviour, Like a shepherd lead us, Much we need Thy tender care;
In Thy pleasant pastures feed us; For our use Thy folds prepare;
Blessed Jesus!  Blessed Jesus!

Thou Hast bought us, Thine we are.

No comments: